[WEB4LIB] RE: Mozilla 1.1 released

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Aug 28 15:07:20 EDT 2002

At 02:34 PM 8/28/2002, Karen G. Schneider wrote:

>O.k., I'll be "Charlie McCarthy" to Tom's "Edgar Bergen" and ask...
>"Say, Tom, why SHOULD all web developers use this browser frequently?"

And you could hardly see my lips move!

Reasons that I can bat off: this is now the state-of-the-art browser, and
developers should always have access to the cutting edge.  As a
standards-compliant browser, it makes it more obvious what proprietary
hacks you've been relying on, and encourages you to explore standards-based
alternatives.  It allows you to look ahead at emerging technologies like a
standardized DOM, MathML, robust Unicode support and font handling, or even
mid-90's vintage HTML and CSS (we can debate which technologies are truly
"emerging" and which have been sidetracked by poor client support).

Plus, once you turn off unrequested pop-ups and block image from a handful
of banner ad vendors, you can actually use a lot of web sites.  :->

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu