Digital Reference Primer

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Wed Aug 7 15:58:03 EDT 2002

I get quite a few questions about digital reference services from people who
are new to the topic. I've decided to put together a basic, general
introduction to digital reference services to help newcomers get started.

This resource lists ten recommended general readings, selected for the
overviews they give of major issues; four bibliographies for locating
materials for further reading; five "directory" sites providing links to
interesting information on the topic; and information on two online
discussion groups that deal with digital reference.

It's available at: http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/~b-sloan/primer.htm

Let me know what you think...especially any suggestions for improvement.

And feel free to forward to other lists, or to use it wherever it comes in
handy.

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801

Phone: (217) 333-4895