[WEB4LIB] constructive criticism on this list?

Roy Tennant roy.tennant at ucop.edu
Wed Aug 7 10:30:48 EDT 2002

This is a discussion list. That means discussion, which I take pains to
point out includes disagreement, is very much a valid part of this list.
If someone is afraid to post because they are afraid someone on the list
will publicly disagree with them, well, there's not much we can do about
that.  If, however, they are afraid to post because they will be the
target of personal attacks, then we've got problems that the Web4Lib
Advisory Board would be happy to address.

Frankly, I think we're being over-sensitive. I've seen flame wars, and
what has happened over the last few days is but a pale shadow of one. We
should be free to debate strongly held beliefs and not be limited to
uncontroversial topics because someone's feelings may get hurt. We are
not a family gathering where discussion of politics and religion is
avoided in the interest of domestic tranquility. We are a group of
professionals who at times honestly disagree, and if we can't use this
forum to debate these topics then we will have nowhere to do so.

All I ask is that in the process you adhere to the list policy (see
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/#Policy) which has been
painstakingly constructed over time in response to real issues that have
arisen on this list. One other thing. A few debates (some of you will
recall previous discussions of filtering) seem to go on forever. If a
thread degenerates to a few people firing strongly-worded disagreements
back and forth repeatedly, let it go. Agree to disagree.

Having said that, I say bring it on. For myself, if a criticism really
hurts that means it either comes from someone whom I respect, or it's
right.
Roy