[WEB4LIB] Re: CSS & changing font size

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Aug 19 14:29:02 EDT 2002

At 02:04 PM 8/19/2002, TSmith2 at lcc.edu wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Bob's email reminded me of a question - does anyone know the coding you
>would use in css stylesheets to allow the website visitor to change the
>font size from within their own broswer?  (For example in plain html pages,
>website visitors can click on 'view, text size, largest'  in IE to increase
>the font.)
>Our college has unfortunately chosen a not-very accessible solution of
>creating a website template which has style sheet coding that does not
>allow website visitors to change the tiny font size to something more
>readable by the average human - not to mention older patrons & anyone with
>less than 20-20 vision.
>I have heard that the solution to this is quite simple - ie, just changing
>a line on the style sheet - but I've not been able to track it down.

Your campus web server sends /common/base.css as "Content-Type:
application/x-pointplus", so any compliant browser should ignore it in the
first place.  If only it were so easy to avoid such an abusive stylesheet.

And your campus home page is just a blank to anyone with JavaScript
disabled, so clearly the campus web folks are happy to give the finger to
anyone whose browser doesn't match their narrow [minded] definition of what
browser functionality to expect.

If the template they saddle you with lets you add anything to the head
element, try this:

   * {
     font-size: 100% !important;
   }