[WEB4LIB] test page - take another look!

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Aug 14 13:46:52 EDT 2002

Bill,

While it has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I have
to say that I preferred your previous layout. The layout that "A List Apart"
uses works for how the content is arranged on that web site. For example, the
reverse "L" shape that creates the right-hand column and footer works because
the right-hand column is narrow and is intended for navigation and editorial
content. But on your site, the content in that column includes important
features of the site and should not have the effect of being relegated to a
lesser position and "squeezed" to fit. Also, the "footer" area of ALA doesn't
contain any content while on your site, important information is forced down
into the footer area, depending upon the browser window size. Try re-sizing the
browser window and see how the content flows. Plus, I think the borders between
the DIVs creates demarcations that are unnecessary and break up the content of
the page. Again, on ALA, this effect works because the intent is to highlight
the stories and downplay the navigation area. I don't think that is your intent
on your page. If it is, I don't think it works well with what you have.

I agree with you that the ALA story has important notes for designers moving to
tableless designs. But I think from the various iterations that you have shown
us, you have already become familiar with many of these tricks and concepts. I
would suggest sticking to your original layout and leave the ALA layout to that
site. Plus, you don't want to end up being featured here:

http://www.pirated-sites.com/

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library