help with running sites from CD

Yvonne Reynolds Reynolds at nbict.nbi.ac.za
Wed Aug 14 04:37:03 EDT 2002

Hello,

I am sorry to call upon the list again so soon, but this problem has me stumped.

We have 2 websites ( lets call them AA and BB).  We use frames on both.  I use Dreamwever.   I am needing to cut the sites to run on CD for a demonstration.  The sites are linked at several points.  When designed for the web, the full url is given for these links.  e.g. http://www.AA.com/index.html for links to  the home page of AA from site BB.

I have  made copies of the sites to adapt for the CD .  I changed the full urls of the cross site links to relative paths as I cannot be sure of the CD drive they will be running from.   For example the path to the homepage of AA from BB is just ../AA/index.html.   This works perfectly for most pages, but with most of those running in frames, the browser appears to insert the folder/directory of the home site into  the path.  For example where I have typed ../AA/index.html, it appears in the browser address bar when running from the CD as D:/BB/AA/index.html - which of course it cannot find.  What is even weirder is that it does not do this consistently.

I know this seems crazy - browsers should not insert things.  What can I be doing wrong?  I have tried changing the target from top to blank- it doesn't help.  I have tried checking the code in Notepad, to get away from Dreamweaver, but the source code on the CD looks fine - it seems that this is something the browser is doing.  I have tried in 2 browsers- both are doing this.

Please can anyone shed any light?

Thanks in anticipation,
Yvonne

Yvonne Reynolds
Website Manager
National Botanical Institute
Kirstenbosch.
P/Bag x 7, Claremont 7735, South Africa
Tel +27 21 799 8712
Fax +27 762 0646
email: reynolds at nbict.nbi.ac.za
http://www.nbi.ac.za
http://www.plantzafrica.com

The NBI accepts no liability for unauthorized use of its e-mail facility nor for corrupted or virus-infected messages.