[WEB4LIB] testing web pages- a question

Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Mon Aug 12 14:55:57 EDT 2002

I would say you've gone far enough.

Anybody who insists on using NS4.03 and not upgrading at least to NS4.77
is probably more stubborn than you need to support. (These are the ones
for whom you wear your 'BOFH' hat.)  After all, 4.77 should install
seamlessly right over the top of 4.03 with all of their bookmarks,
address books, plug-ins, etc., in place.

As you pointed out, 90+% of your users are using browser version 5.1 and
later.  My department has just made the decision for new or updated
pages that we are targeting version 5.5 and later for IE and NS. While
we are still paying attention to compatibility for text only and talking
browsers we are not letting ourselves be too concerned about the few
people who just love Netscape 4.x and believe that all current browsers
are the work of the 'Axis of Evil.'

D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 at po.cwru.edu>
 Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
 Additional Information at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/
"Follow the white rabbit."