re webmaster address on web site

Kyle Banerjee kyle.banerjee at state.or.us
Fri Aug 9 12:25:43 EDT 2002

[anti spam techniques deleted]

    These may all work, but the cure just might be worse than the disease.
If the goal of zapping spam is to save time, using server side programming,
javascript, etc is self defeating. Aside from the time wasted developing and
implementing the technique, migrating web pages becomes trickier --
especially after changes in staff occur. Reverse engineering someone else's
clever hack is a pain.

    I'm with Roy. A couple dozen ads each day for porno, electronic gizmos,
email order brides, and stuff I can't even read from the Pacific rim comes
with the job. Besides, this stuff literally takes seconds to dispose of.
Compare that to the hours lost discussing non-issues in poorly organized
meetings,  futzing with miniscule cosmetic details on projects, installing
half baked software because the folks making the purchasing/implementation
decision couldn't separate substance from the marketing hype, and it's clear
that spam isn't very high on the list of time wasters. Having said all that,
blunt filters that autodelete or autocategorize mail can be a help.

kyle

Kyle Banerjee
Oregon State Library
250 Winter ST