[WEB4LIB] RE: re webmaster address on web site

Keith Higgs dkh2 at po.cwru.edu
Thu Aug 8 18:36:32 EDT 2002

Regretably, I have to admit to having had my e-address on all of our
pages.  I'm gradually whittling down the amount of spam I get.  The
Korean and Chinese spam are the trickiest.  I've actually started to
recognize the "unsubscribe" and "reject" links in those things.

I now have a link to a form.  Additionally, the Perl script that
processes the form does not contain my e-address in a recognizeable
form. Our server has an installation of safePerl that includes a mail()
function. The mail() function takes four arguments, (subjectHeader,
fromAddress, toAddress, bodyContent).

For example:

$WM_Initials = 'dkh';
$WM_MailSrvr = 'po.cwru.edu'
$themagicnumber = 2;

mail (
	$MessageSubject,
	$PatronFromAddress,
	$WM_Initials$themagicnumber\@$WM_MailSrvr,
	$MessageBodyContent
);

I defy any conventional bot to reassemble my address out of that!

If safePerl allowed me to use any of the encrypt(), decrypt() or
password() functions I'd make it even harder.

Keith
D. Keith Higgs <mailto:dkh2 at po.cwru.edu>
 Case Western Reserve University, Webmaster - University Library
 Additional Information at http://www.cwru.edu/UL/
"Follow the white rabbit."