browser and OS wars

dan dan at riverofdata.com
Tue Aug 6 15:01:14 EDT 2002

Hey Guys,

Can't we get beyond this same old "your browser and OS suck, you should use the one I do that rules the world and will feed starving children in its spare time"?

As anyone knows who has been on this list for more than two weeks, and as was made clear in Bill Drew's message, he's talking about an INSTITUTIONAL STANDARD.  I believe that all students have ThinkPads.  It is an MS campus.  You don't have to like it, but you do have to accept it.  Bitching, moaning, whining, and flaming won't change that, whether done by Bill or by list members.

Then there are the throw away lines like "upgrading to Linux" which should be "changing to Linux" under any definition of the word "upgrading".  Personally, I don't care much for scrolling banners either, and don't see the necessity of flash on a library page, but each institution decides its own standards and its own purpose of the webpage.  Ours happens to be designed as a simple toolbox with no flash (and no Flash), using standard institutional colors and layout.  If I were in charge of the world is it how I would do it?  Not necessarily.  However, I'm just one committee member in a group that is oriented to simplicity and function and no flashy stuff or beautiful pictures.

Does that make me right and Bill wrong?  Of course not.  It makes the old "different strokes for different folks" that most seem to have forgotten in the last decade or so.

cheers

dan