Wildcard DNS and NT4

Bob Duncan duncanr at mail.lafayette.edu
Tue Aug 6 10:48:31 EDT 2002

Greetings,

We are currently providing remote users access to Web databases using
Innovative Interfaces' WAM product.  The latest iteration of the product
offers a rewrite proxy method based on EZProxy.  In order for the proxy to
work, a wildcard DNS entry of *.www.library.lafayette.edu is required so
that (e.g.) blah.www.library.lafayette.edu will resolve to the IP address
associated with www.library.lafayette.edu. Our campus computing folks have
been able to create the wildcard DNS entry on their NT4 server, but they
can't seem to make it function as required:  when one checks variations of
the real hostname with nslookup the server returns an authoritative reply
but no address.  And instead of being treated as a wildcard, the asterisk
is seen as a literal character if *.www is looked up (that is, the literal
string *.www.library.lafayette.edu resolves to the IP address of
www.library.lafayette.edu).

I have read EZProxy's and III's suggestions for creating wildcard entries
in WinNT, but nothing has helped.

The DNS servers are NT4.0 with service pack 6a.  If anyone has any
experience making this work on similarly-configured machines, I would
appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan