[WEB4LIB] Re: browser differences

Steve Cramer smcramer at uncg.edu
Mon Aug 5 11:30:24 EDT 2002

The Journal of Electronic Publishing published an interesting study of users'
perception of Flash-enable sites.

http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/07-03/raney.html
An Experimental Study: The Relationship Between Multimedia Features and
Information Retrieval

Here are two of the findings:

"While no differences were found in terms of the actual completion of the
tasks, significant differences were found in terms of enjoyment and recall.
Specifically, users reported more enjoyment of the Flash sites than the HTML
sites. This finding is further substantiated by a single item that asked the
respondents to identify which site they preferred more: 85.9 percent identified
the Flash site."

"Also, participants were able to recall more information from the
Flash-enhanced sites than from the HTML sites."

The Morrisville might well agree.

--Steve

Steve Cramer
Business Librarian
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
smcramer at uncg.edu
336-256-0346