Management Software for Public Access PCs

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Tue Apr 9 11:42:20 EDT 2002

Louise Alcorn of the West Des Moines Public Library and I are currently
working on the book "Neal-Schuman Directory of Management Software for
Public PCs" and would like list-member input. At this stage we are currently
developing the list of software categories and titles for review. (The
current working list is below.) What we'd like to hear is further
suggestions for categories and titles that you feel should be included in
the book.  Thanks for any input you can give.

Michael Sauers, Librarian, Trainer & Author
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: 303-751-6277 :: msauers at bcr.org
http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
"I have always wished that my computer would
be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has
come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."
-- Bjarne Stroustrip (author of the C++
programming language)

System Recovery
	Norton Ghost
	PowerQuest DeployCenter - Formerly Drive Image Pro
	Clean Slate
	HD98Copy--Backup and restore FAT partitions

Application Launchers
	Bardon Data Systems WinU
	CybraryN public access control software
	Launch Command HTML Network Menuing and Metering
	W3Launch application launcher
	Ingenieum menuing and application launching system
	ActiveSaver: Auto run or logoff screen saver
	Shutdown Now! shutdown automation utility
	WinExit log off idle users
	Time Target task scheduler

Timers and Session Monitors
	SRI Strategic Resources workstation booking system
	PC-Cop
	Fortres Time Limit Manager
	Computer Timer freeware
	Internet Station Manager
	PC Time Cop
	Smart Access Manager (SAM)
	PC Reservation session manager
	CybraryN public access control software
	SofTrack Software Metering
	KeySpy keyboard logger
	Webroot's WinGuardian

Print Managers
	VendPrint
	Printer Release Server
	GoPrint
	Northern PrintControl
	Pcounter print accounting system
	ITC Systems Print Queue Manager
	Equitrac Document Accounting Systems
	CMS Diginet Printing Release Station
	Print Manager Plus
	Smart Access Manager (SAM)

Security Programs
	SmartStuff Software's FoolProof for Windows
	Fortres 101
	Winselect, Deep freeze
	WinShield SecurePC
	Full Armor
	WinLock
	Window Washer
	AdSubtract
	NSClean cookie editor for Netscape & IE
	Cover Your Tracks privacy tool
	CacheCompacter
	Internet Junkbuster Proxy
	Cache Banish for Windows

Special Browsers/Kiosks
	Public Web Browser
	Public Access Browser
	CybraryN public access control software
	PHAROS IT Management for Libraries
	OCLC Web Express
	K-Meleon web browser
	K-Meleon browser public measures
	Librowse: Netscape-based web browser for Libraries
	Web Kiosk Commander
	NetKey Public Browser
	Sheller - The Minimal Browser
	Hyper Technologies, Inc. IKIOSK & WinSelect
	Web Kids filtered/browser
	SecureBrowser