[WEB4LIB] Re: Public Browser and CIPA?

John Creech John.Creech at cwu.EDU
Fri Apr 5 15:51:19 EST 2002

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Dan Lester wrote:

> Promise this will be my last post on this topic, as it risks getting
> into the filtering for libraries area.  At the moment, I think it
> still relates to internet/web policies in general.
>
> Friday, April 05, 2002, 10:02:55 AM, you wrote:
> AM> All of your points are valid. However, I don't think libraries should ignore the
> AM> legal implications of using filtering technology on Internet computers. If there is
> AM> a legal challenge to a library filtering policy, a library that is following the
> AM> CIPA statute can at least point to that as a legal basis for their filtering.

CNN is reporting on their web site that the first challenge case to CIPA
has wrapped up, in case anybody's not heard...

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/04/05/internet.porn.reut/index.html

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
office - 509-963-1081 || fax - 509-963-3684
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu