[WEB4LIB] Re: Public Browser and CIPA?

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Apr 5 12:01:12 EST 2002

Dan,

All of your points are valid. However, I don't think libraries should ignore the
legal implications of using filtering technology on Internet computers. If there is
a legal challenge to a library filtering policy, a library that is following the
CIPA statute can at least point to that as a legal basis for their filtering.
However, if they filter beyond that line, what legal basis are they relying on in
that case? You're right, there are groups who want to block Harry Potter. But
legally speaking, no lawsuit has ever forced a library to filter content. On the
flip side, at least one library has been has been successfully sued over the use of
filters in their library. Those who sued Loudoun County Public Library were awarded
$106,918 in attorney fees. I'm going to guess that the library spent as much on its
own legal fees.  That's a pretty expensive lesson to learn for crossing that line.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI

[Who is not a lawyer and has never played one on TV either!]