[WEB4LIB] Re: Cache problem? but where?

Jeremy Foster agjf1 at nsh.library.ns.ca
Mon Apr 29 09:24:36 EDT 2002

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 Thomas Dowling  wrote:
> Netscape, pre-6.x, was justifiably lambasted for its chronic inability to
> handle tables with TR, TH, or TD elements whose optional closing tags are
> left out.

no!.. I'm talking about the people that leave the end "closing" tag of table off.

I am, as most, a Netscape kid at heart, been there since the browser was first out (pre 1.0) but I made the switch from 4.7 to IE because I would go to sites and not see anything on the page with netscape and then I would try IE and the page would work fine.

I'd check the code and the problem was almost always that the page designer missed putting in the closing table tag.

This you can not and should not leave out.

W3C.org HTML 3.2 Spec quote: "The TABLE element always requires both start and end tags."

Also Netscape 4.78 will render tables correctly when the table is built to HTML Spec Standards. including leaving out closing tags of TR and TD

Jeremy Foster
HRL Webmaster
agjf1 at nsh.library.ns.ca
Tel: (902)490-5670