Obvia and other alternatives

Robert Kalabus RKALABUS at wwcc.cc.wy.us
Fri Apr 19 12:40:19 EDT 2002

Hello:
    There used to be a company called Obvia which offered "the complete
solution to all your remote authentication needs."  Maybe Obvia is still in
business, but their website hasn't been updated in a long time... which
doesn't inspire confidence.
    Are there any companies that provide remote authentication so that an
academic library's off-campus users can access its subscription databases?
    I know about EZproxy and some other things, but I'm wondering if there
is a way to "outsource" this service.

Robert Kalabus
Hay Library
Western Wyoming Community College

p.s.  I'll be posting a link to the results of our web site usability study
soon to the list, in case you remember my question of a couple of months
ago.