Job Announcement: Systems Librarian, San Diego, CA

Sarah White swhite at qualcomm.com
Tue Apr 16 17:28:19 EDT 2002

Position cross-posted; please excuse the duplication.

Systems Librarian in San Diego, California
Type: Full Time - Experienced

Systems Librarian
QUALCOMM's exciting career opportunities are on the leading edge of digital
wireless communications, the hottest technology today. QUALCOMM perfected
the proven CDMA technology currently used in infrastructure and mobile
telephone products around the globe. Now we're ramping up in this
millennium, developing and creating standards for third-generation CDMA
mobile communications technologies.

Selected by Fortune as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work for in
America" for the fourth year in a row, we strive for a balance of personal
achievement and corporate excellence. Every day at QUALCOMM is casual
day--in style of dress and in style of management. At the same time, we
take our work seriously. In our team-oriented, rapidly expanding
organization, your efforts will be recognized and appreciated. Visit our
web site, http://www.qualcomm.com  for more information about the company,
its benefits and awards.

Due to our continuing growth, we have an opening for a Systems Librarian.

Under direction of Systems & Technical Services Manager, the Systems
Librarian is responsible for technical development and maintenance of
library systems, including the library's web site, OPAC, and various
internal databases. Additional responsibilities include the collection,
analysis and presentation of library metrics; streamlining library systems
and procedures; troubleshooting problems with systems and electronic
services; maintaining library computers and equipment; participating in
library projects and activities; assisting with graphics design using
Photoshop and Illustrator. May oversee work of three or more technical
services staff.

Current projects: Assist as liaison with Corporate IT group in coordinating
library web site redesign and maintenance using ASP and/or ColdFusion, and
ADO. Assist with search engine query optimization and development of search
specifications. Assist with development and maintenance of custom web-based
databases using Cuadra STAR, Filemaker Pro, Oracle, and/or Microsoft
Access. Assist with design of user interface to online catalog and
utilities such as self-checkout system. Coordinate implementation of CRM
software.

Qualifications and requirements
MLS from ALA accredited library school OR BS/BA and 3-5 years library
experience with progressively responsible positions, or equivalent experience.

A proactive, strategic outlook as well as an ability to manage change and
respond enthusiastically to challenges is essential in this
technology-driven company. Must have strong analytical/problem-solving
skills, attention to detail, and the ability to make logical decisions.
Must be self-directed and well organized. Must be able to work effectively
on a team and must be able to communicate effectively to many levels of
expertise. Requires strong interpersonal skills to train/direct employees
and assist library users. Must be able to prioritize and plan projects
accordingly, and must be able to perform multiple tasks concurrently. Must
be proficient using spreadsheet and word-processing software. Technical
abilities should include as many of the following as possible: HTML, ASP,
ColdFusion SQL server, VB/VB script, Java Script, C++, Windows 2000, UNIX,
XML, PERL, CGI, etc. Database management experience and working knowledge
of cataloging preferred.

Salary Range: $50,000 - $70,000, depending on experience

Please send us your resume. Mention department code WSLA in all submittals.

Email: resumes at qualcomm.com
Fax: (888) 349-4155
Mail: PO Box 919013, San Diego, CA 92191-9013

To apply on line or for more information on opportunities at QUALCOMM,
visit us on the web at www.qualcomm.com

QUALCOMM
Equal Opportunity Employer

Sarah White
Director, Library & Information Services
QUALCOMM
5775 Morehouse Drive
San Diego, CA 92121
email: swhite at qualcomm.com