[WEB4LIB] using float in IE/Netscape

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Apr 12 13:13:59 EDT 2002

Well, you can't make older (in the float:left case, pre-Netscape 6 and
pre-IE 5.5) do CSS correctly.  CSS is designed to be backwards compatible
only in the sense that it "degrades gracefully".  Or as they put it at A
List Apart, all browsers can view the content, only standard-compliant
browsers can view the design.

It's a judgment call.  In arranging your image, heading and sub-heading
how big an issue is separation of content/design vs. getting your design
to older browsers vs. how much time you're spending macdinking your page?
While the separation of content and design is good practice in general,
especially for site maintenance, it's mainly necessary where you expect
automated processing of the content to be used.

Note, however, that an external style-sheet is one form of automated
processing.  How likely are you to have dozens of pages with the same
arrangement of image and headings that you will want to be able to
rearrange by changing the style-sheet?

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo

footnote - from the Jargon File

macdink     /mak'dink/ vt.     [from the Apple Macintosh, which is said to
encourage such behavior] To make many incremental and unnecessary cosmetic
changes to a program or file. Often the subject of the macdinking would be
better off without them. "When I left at 11 P.M. last night, he was still
macdinking the slides for his presentation."