Help with ASP hanging

Larry Schankman lschankm at mnsfld.edu
Thu Apr 11 09:03:26 EDT 2002

Greetings,

Any IIS 5/ASP gurus out there who can solve a mystery? I've been running ASP
applications on a Win2k/IIS 5 server for about a year and a half and ASP has
been a comfort and joy for me. But all of a sudden, the Win2k ASP service is
hanging (or failing, I'm not sure which) 3-4 times a day. The server itself
is fine, as are regular HTML pages. Only the ASP service fails, which
requires a re-boot (until the next hang a few hours later).

When ASP hangs I can't restart IIS either, as I get the error "Could not
stop the IIS Admin Service" and an Error 1053 "The service did not respond
to the start or control request." I've checked permissions and even
re-synched the IUSER password with Microsoft's synciwam script. And event
log shows no suspicious behavior.

I've checked many of the ASP message boards, and though others have reported
the same behavior, I've yet to find a solution. This is driving me crazy.
Any ideas of what I should look at, and why this would just suddenly start?
The only thing that has changed since the problem began was a power failure
over the weekend and a recent Microsoft security update (could that have
caused this?).

Thanks for any help,

Larry Schankman
Remote Services Librarian