Colors in textboxes & textareas

Fernando Gómez fgomez at criba.edu.ar
Tue Apr 30 11:02:50 EDT 2002

We are using an HTML form to create/edit bibliographic records. I would like
to avoid the possibility of accidentally entering unnecessary whitespace
into a textbox or a textarea.

I know that using Javascript I could test if the text has that kind of
whitespace, and show an alert message. But I would also like to use a visual
clue, something like using a background color for the text, but *only* for
the text, not for the whole textbox o textarea.

¿Is that possible? The form is used in a restricted environment using IE, so
I do not have to worry about browser compatibility.

Thanks in advance!

Fernando J. Gómez

Biblioteca Dr. Antonio Monteiro
Instituto de Matemática de Bahía Blanca