[WEB4LIB] Netscape to IE

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Apr 23 16:42:23 EDT 2002

Actually, the answer is yes.  Back when we went from DOS/Win 3.1 to strictly
a MS Windows environment I pick up a program from http://www.rethinkit.com
called NT Script.  So far it appears that NT Script will run on any flavor
of MS Windows.  So, if you're not running MS Windows, this info won't help.
NT Script solved our need to run programs from a CD Tower, Novell Server, NT
Server, and the local hard drive via a WEB link.

  Jason Simotas is the author and after placing my order I found I had
ordered too few licenses.  He gave me permission to use the program on more
PCs than I originally ordered at no extra charge.

  You need to set file associations for .prg files to NT Script.  And,
depending on your version of Netscape, you may need to set the mimetype in
Netscape.  I think newer versions get their mimetypes from the file
association if its there.

For your link to open IE you could use this.  It worked from a double click
on the prg file which usually indicates it will work as a WEB link:

sub main
shell "C:\Progra~1\Intern~1\iexplore.exe http://www.brittanica.com"
{maximize}
endsub

>From the WEB Site:
 Use Notepad to create simple script files.
 Visual debugging : Step through your script and watch your code and
variables as it runs.
 Great for logon scripts or network administration.
 Built in functions-
  Read / Write registry settings
  Check Group membership
  Map drives / add printers
  Copy files / directories
 Here's the interactive debugger.
  Code on the left. Variables on the right.
What could be easier?

I think his price has remained the same since Fall 97, current pricing is:
NT Script 1 Machine  $40
NT Script 10 Machines  $300
NT Script 100 Machines  $2,500

If I remember correctly we did get an educational discount check info on NT
Script by searching the WEB4LIB archives.
Here are two
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9812/0090.html
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/9809/0008.html

Thomas