[WEB4LIB] Re: Flash vs HTML

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Apr 8 10:12:07 EDT 2002

At 08:58 AM 4/8/2002, Jeremy Foster wrote:
>...The same thing is found with any product, technology or service. Why
>would we need a 5 Star hotel if we only wanted what a 3 star has to
>offer?...There will always be advances in technology and there will always
>be earily adapters, mainstream adapters, "if I have to" adapters and then
>those that say..
>"What's wrong with still using Netscape 1.1N?".

These statements reinforce a misconception that Flash is, in some way, a
step beyond HTML, something better than HTML, something that performs the
same function but at a 5-star rather than a 3-star level.

That is not true, and this sort of argument is what raises the hackles of
web designers who have to field "let's make a Flash version!"
requests.  Considering that accessibility requirements alone [ought to]
require developers to duplicate a Flash site with a parallel, gracefully
degrading HTML site, Flash development is often more effort than people
realize.

A technology like Flash has its purposes in specific, tightly defined
applications.  IMO, it seldom or never should be used pervasively across a
site.  And we would all do well to look at open, non-binary alternatives
such as SVG and/or SMIL (yes, I know that those are not yet support one 98%
of all browsers, or whatever figure Macromedia claims).

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu