[WEB4LIB] PDF printing problems,

Grace Agnew gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 1 13:10:40 EST 2002

Ward,

I have experienced this problem on older PCs, for lengthy documents, using
Adobe reader 5.0.  I am fairly sure it is a RAM issue.  You will also find
with older computers that some illustrations won't print.  It may also be a
printer RAM problem.  I can't be sure, because the older PC also did not
use a networked printer.  Your best bet is to go to a newer PC with more
RAM for printing and/or to print to a networked printer.  I have also
gotten around the problem by printing a few pages at a time, rather than a
lengthy document.  Also shut off resident programs on your Windows
taskbar.   Virus checking software eats up a lot of RAM so right click on
that icon and exit that program until you are done.  Also close that awful,
ubiquitous Real StartCenter and anything else you are not actively using on
the desktop.

Grace

  08:00 AM 4/1/2002 -0800, Ward Price wrote:
>I often have trouble printing, or reading, .pdf documents.  That's because
>the spacing of letters is messed up.
>
>For instance, when I printed the document mentioned here, the last line of
>the title page looks like this:
>Forthcomingfrom A LAE ditionsFall200 2
>
>The first line of the text looks like this:
>Thisisa com prehensivelist of features andch aracteristicsth ata re
>availableon
>
>I suppose others could have a similar problem, but with different spacing.
>I'm using Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.x, I think.  Any suggestions?
>
>Ward Price
>
>At 05:27 AM 3/30/2002 -0800, Stephen Coffman wrote:
> >
> >Hi, you all.
> >
> >We're in the process of putting together a basic text on virtual reference
>services which will be published the American Library Association later
>this Fall.  The tentative title is A Virtual Reference Primer.
> >

> >http://alaeditions.virtualreference.net/  -warning, allow some time, it's
>over 30 pages with charts
> >
>C. Ward Price    Web Librarian
>University of Texas-Pan American
>http://www.lib.panam.edu/
>wprice at panam.edu

Grace Agnew
Associate University Librarian for Digital Library Systems
Library Technical Services Building
47 Davidson Road
Piscataway, NJ  08854-5603

gagnew at rci.rutgers.edu