[WEB4LIB] Re: Java and e-resource vendors

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Sun Sep 23 12:36:43 EDT 2001

At 8:14 AM -0700 9/23/01, Thomas Dowling wrote:
> [...]

Also you can do a surprising amount of pointless animation in
javascript (which is related to java in appearance only). so on the
client side, java has only a few places where it's a clear winner,
networked games being the most prominent. yahoogames, for example

>Third, the "run anywhere" part of Java proved to be a mirage.  Point fingers
>where you will, the reality is that no one can risk putting a
>mission-critical application out as an applet, except in intranets with
>tightly controlled browser options.  Witness the cross-browser issues with
>the Dynix Java interface, which, last time I checked, won't run with *Sun's*
>version of Java installed as a plug-in.

"mirage" isn't quite the right word. "run anywhere" is a reality in
java, but there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. "run anywhere"
in java takes a lot of work, testing, and discipline, so in practice
it doesn't happen.

Eric
--
Eric Hellman