[WEB4LIB] Re: stolen domain?

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Tue Sep 4 16:59:17 EDT 2001

"JENNIFER A. HEISE" wrote:

> Thanks, Bill.
> No, _I_'m not. But it sure looks like these creeps are.
>
> "Drew, Bill" wrote:
> >
> > "There may be a time and a place for porn, but I really resent having it
> > shoved in my face when I'm looking for something completely different in
> > order to extort money from other people."
> >
> > Is she really out to extort money from people?
> >
> > -- jenne heise

    Ahh the English language is a wonderful thing! :) The only language in the
world where Os can have long I sounds (coyote). I understood perfectly what
she said until Bill went and twisted it all up for me. Thanks for the smile,
though!
    On the flip side of the coin, and here goes the GWD playing devil's
advocate again, I have little sympathy for a company that can update its
website on a regular basis, and yet be totally unaware that its domain is
about to lapse. Going back to the driver's lisence example quoted a while ago,
that's like being a master mechanic and keeping your car souped up and well
tuned- then not knowing that you have to renew your lisence to drive. It seems
to me that domain registration and maintenance would be such a simple thing
that it'd be a given that you'd remember to keep it current. But then again,
because its such a simple thing, I could see folks forgetting about it as
well.
    As a sort of crossover, I find it a little humourous when something like
this happens and a filtering system doesn't snag it in time, if at all. Last I
checked, BESS was happily directing me to porn sites with formerlly reputable
histories. :) Then again, I have a sick sense of humour to begin with.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson