[WEB4LIB] Re: eBooks can exist with...

Mark T. Bay mbay at cc.cumber.edu
Wed Sep 26 13:28:55 EDT 2001

I usually avoid these threads too, since they just make me mad most of the
time, but I'm going to jump in...

I think that as long as there are people like me who really are in love with
the concept of the printed word, ebooks won't take off.  Admit it, is there
anything like sitting under a tree with a nice old worn-out book to pass the
time?  For me, and many others that I know, the idea of books being replaced
with LED, plastic, and ni-cad monstrosities is horrible.  Whether or not
they are read with a separate reader or as a component of a laptop or other
computer syatem is beside the point.  Fewer people than you might think are
ready to do away with print and embrace ebooks, ejournals, enewspapers, etc.
Think about it...has the fact that the NY Times and most other major papers
have websites where you can read most of the paper really dented sales of
the real thing that much?

Do I mean to say that ebooks etc. have no use whatsoever?  Not at all.  Some
reference books, computer manuals that go out of date quickly, maybe some
textbooks are fine uses of ebooks.  But stories, poetry, works of art, they
belong in a nice, old-fashioned book.

Another example:  how many people, when they find something they want to
read on-line, don't hit the "print" button so they can "really" read it
later.  Face it, reading print resources is easier physiologically for the
majority of readers, and I think people somehow find it more comforting.

My 2 cents...

Mark
Mark T. Bay
Electronic Resources Librarian