[WEB4LIB] Re: pc's for Web browser workstations

Scott Drone-Silvers dsilvers at lakeland.cc.il.us
Fri Sep 21 11:21:16 EDT 2001

Calvin,

I agree with most of the follow-up posts I've seen thus far. But I would
urge you to take advantage of the relatively cheap memory market right now
and load the units up with 512 MB of RAM if it is economically feasible for
you to do so:

1) You never know what applications you'll end up running, despite your
initial plans;

2) Some programs - especially plug-ins - respond better to more RAM than to
a faster processor. Given that you're likely to end up with a minimum of a
1Ghz CPU on an entry level unit, you probably won't want for processor power
(not to be confused with processor envy) anytime soon;

3) If you're running Windows of any flavor, the more RAM, the better. I've
rarely seen an OS and/or applications that couldn't use RAM...

Just my $.02...

Scott Drone-Silvers
Director, Learning Resource Center
Lake Land College