Searchable database of Marc records of CD's and

Peter Murray PMurray at law.uconn.edu
Sun Sep 30 15:53:46 EDT 2001

To what end?  Would one take this MARC record and import it into an ILS?
That may be useful, but I wonder if bibliographic utilities might have
better (more accurate) records.  Or would you be proposing that PC-based
CD Players would generate MARC records rather than their own proprietary
format for storing information about CDs on the hard drive?

Before reusing CDDB records, you may want to take a look at the licensing
terms.  I ran across a CDDB (a.k.a "Gracenote") alternative that make it
sound like use of the original CDDB database is being clamped down.

 <http://freedb.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2>

Specifically, the CDDB-licensed application "is not designed to allow
transfer of data between the Gracenote CDDB database, and other internet
databases."
  <http://www.gracenote.com/FAQs.html/faqset=licerr/page=5>

Peter

--On Friday, September 28, 2001 11:46 AM -0700 Don Hamilton

--
Peter Murray, Computer Services Librarian              W: 860-570-5233
University of Connecticut Law School             Hartford, Connecticut