(Update Week 30) The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk

gprice gprice at gwu.edu
Thu Sep 27 18:12:11 EDT 2001

http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 30
New and Useful Web Sites, Industry News, Full-Text Docs of Interest to the
Info Professional.

9/27/01
Hello from DC.

Here is your weekly weblog reminder and highlights message.

Btw, I’m continuing to develop the 9/11/01 resources compilation and the
Speech and Transcript Center.
http://www.freepint.com/gary/91101.html
http://gwu.edu/~gprice/speech.htm

Now, to weblog highlights.

Cheers,
Gary

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting
gprice at gwu.edu
----
----
Thursday, September 27, 2001
Resource of the Week--Business
Reference--Business Resources
The Entire Doing Business In Series From Ernst & Young Available on The Web

Professional Reading--Web Search
Learn About Info Retrieval from Google's Director of Research
----

Wednesday, September 26, 2001
Business-United States
Investing--United States
Source: SEC
New Database: Investment Adviser Public Disclosure (IAPD)
----

Tuesday, September 25, 2001
Web Search--Ask Jeeves
Source: Computerworld
License the Ask Jeeves Software for Your Enterprise, Hello to Jeeves One

Population--Canada
Source: Statistics Canada
Canada's Population Tops 31 Million
Summary and tables.

Full-Text Document Shelf
Poverty--United States
Income--United States
Two New Reports From the U.S. Census Are Now Online
Source: U.S. Census
Money Income in the United States: 2000
Poverty in the United States: 2000
----

Monday, September 24, 2001
Research and Development--Database
New Database: IRIS (Industrial Research and Development Information System)

English as A Second Language--Database
New Searchable Database: Online Directory of ESL Resources

National Security--United States
Source: GPO
New Web Site: U.S. Commission on National Security/21st Century

Professional Reading
Electronic Resources: New Issues for Library Systems with New Solutions"
----

Saturday, September 22, 2001
Fast Facts
Area Studies
Source: CIA
Update: 2001 Edition of CIA World Factbook Is Now Online
----

Friday, September 21, 2001
Digitization Projects--Music
Libraries in the News
Source: Chronicle of Higher Education
"A University Library Creates a Virtual Walk Through Tin Pan Alley"
>From the article, The [Mississippi State] University's library is digitizing
and conserving the collection, an archive of about 22,000 pieces of ragtime,
blues, show-tune, and war-song folios from the 1890s to the Great Depression.
Charles H. Templeton, a businessman from Starksville, Miss., bequeathed the
sheet music to the university before
his death last year.

Info Industry--EBSCO
Info Industry--ISI
EBSCO and ISI Sign Linking Agreement

----

Thursday, September 20, 2001
Digital Archive--New Mexico
Online Archive of New Mexico
>From the site, "The Online Archive of New Mexico is a single, integrated
source for searching and navigating finding aids to archival collections.
These finding aids, usually called guides or inventories, contain descriptive
information about archives and manuscript collections housed at research
institutions in New Mexico."

Public Schools--Database--United States
Higher Education--Database--United States
Source: NCES
Database Update #1: Public School and School District Locator
Updated for 1999-2000 School Year
Database Update #2: Students' College Search

End
-------
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com
The Virtual Acquisition Shelf & News Desk Update Week 30

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Information Consultant, George Washington University
gprice at gwu.edu