SUMMARY: Need list of HTML Editors that "remove spurious characters"

David Merchant merchant at LATECH.EDU
Thu Sep 13 12:50:20 EDT 2001

----------------------------
The question was:
----------------------------

The latest HTML Assistant Pro 2000 <http://www.exit0.com/> has a "Remove
spurious characters" filter in it. As they explain:

         "Hidden, or spurious, characters in your text can cause
unpredictable results
         with editors, browsers, and other programs that display or process it.

         This filter will remove hidden characters (those with ASCII values
less than 32) from your text.

         This includes the UNIX end of line character (ASCII 10), but not
the DOS/WINDOWS end
         of line character pair (ASCII 13 + ASCII 10).

         You will be able to 'Undo' this operation."

Are there any other HTML editors out there that do the same thing
(freeware, shareware, and/or commercial)? I am compiling a list for a book
I'm writing.

----------------------------
The Answers are:
----------------------------

1. Several folk mentioned the "Zap Gremlins" feature of BBEdit by Bare
Bones Mac Software:

http://www.barebones.com/p roducts/bbedit.html

Mr. Francis sent a screenshot of it, which was welcomed since I don't have
ready access to a Mac.  I can't remember if the lists allow attachments,
but in case they do I've attached the screeenshot to this post.

Mr. Adler added:

"I create algorithmic quantitative tests. Many years ago I discovered that
students using cursor keys could, depending on their platform,
inadvertently insert invisible characters ASSCII 163 or 165 in form fields.
So the problem is not just characters less than 32. "

Thanks to Carl Adler, Lewis Francis,  Tony Grant,  and Avi Rappoport

2.  Mr. Poulin mentioned Notetab Lite:

  www.notetab.com

Thanks to Mike Poulin.

3. A few folk mentioned HTML Tidy, which is a wonderful product.

http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

Added Mr. Dowling of OhioLink: "It also takes the characters from the
undefined range of 128-159 and replaces them with valid character entities."

Thanks to Thomas Dowling and Rial Rodrigue.

Again thanks to all who answered, I learned a lot more about this topic
from y'all!

TTFN,
David

Head, Systems Dept, Louisiana Tech University
merchant at latech.edu
JavaScript List Administrator (www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/)
Webmaster, HTML Encyclopedia (www.mountaindragon.com/html/)
Webmaster, Memorial Day Page: (www.usmemorialday.org/)