[WEB4LIB] Why eBooks and When?

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Thu Sep 13 12:14:52 EDT 2001

I wouldn't disagree with the idea that, to some degree, children are being over
stimulated with "technology" whether they need it or not.  I was somewhat
dismayed to find in a recent stroll through the toy section at Target that
almost every toy for children, even the "classics" from my childhood, have been
"jazzed up" with electronic bells and whistles and lights.  I was almost giddy
to find the the original version of the "popper", the push toy that has popping
colored balls, without an electronic part in it.  I too was disheartened by the
idea that the only way to appeal to children was with these electronic versions
of toys that kept my interest without a battery in sight.

Still, I would be ignoring reality if I didn't realize that every day, we have
children in our library who get onto our computers and use the various
"educational" CDs that read stories to them and allow them to interact with the
characters.  In some cases, this story might be the only one that is read to
that child that day. That's a sad comment but in some cases, a true one.  Plus,
there is no reason that the experience has to be isolated and cold.  I've seen
many siblings and parents interact with each other while using these products.
I don't know what the educational impact of these products are but I'm hoping
that for every story read on the computer, children are encouraged to read 5 or
10 books in print.

My point about E-books is that we know that patrons are already using the
interactive CD products. It seems to me that it is a logical extension of these
products to envision e-books with the same interactive qualities.  We can
question the quality or the usefulness of that experience but we can't ignore
that it is going to occur.  I think our challenge is to ensure the interactive
e-books serve to bolster the use of the printed book, not replace it.  I know
that in my experience, no interactive book could ever replace the images and the
questions that reading created in my own young mind.  I would hope that is
something that all children can experience.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI