[WEB4LIB] What libraries can do to help

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Wed Sep 12 12:09:18 EDT 2001

    The library here is right across the street from the mall. Yesterday the
mall closed at 2 PM, yet the library stayed open. We didn't have many people,
but we did get a few comments about how the library staying open provided a
sense of the norm for the city.
    Something that might help: Reference questions have been very pointed
towards the areas affected by the terrorist attacks yesterday. It may be of
assistance to have materials right at hand (i.e. on your desk) with information
on New York, Washington D.C., the Pentagon, the WTC, United Airlines, American
Airlines, etc. We've got some almanacs and listings of facts readily available
at our Ref desk listing stuff like:
* Population of New York & Washington D.C.
* How many stories tall the WTC was
* How many buildings were in the WTC complex
* Similar dimensions on the Pentagon

    Basically, I would recommend writing down questions and answers as you get
them so you can use that list as a ready reference source later on.
    Additionally, to reiterate something Bill said, feel free to talk with
patrons about how you feel. I'm not usually a "touchy-feely" kind of guy, but
in situations like this, it's important to talk about what has happened.
Through talking, the sharing of opinions, the comparison of ideas, and so
forth; perhaps we can come to some kind of understanding about what happened.
Some patrons will be coming in to get information, and many would probably like
to hear an informed opinion from someone other than a news organization.
    We've got a TV set up in Reference for the public to get the latest
information, yet the volume is turned down to where you have to be fairly close
to it to hear what's being said. In other words, you have to want to know
what's going on and you have to seek out a place close to the TV so you can get
the news. Other than that, it's really not bothering anyone else.
    To those in New York, D.C., and across the nation: Keep hope alive, in the
words of General Joseph Stilwell "Don't let the bastards grind you down."

Dan

"A quiet, unyielding anger..."

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson