[WEB4LIB] Organizing Online Resources

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Sep 6 10:16:36 EDT 2001

> Take a look at http://www.morrisville.edu/library/.  We tend to organize
by
> format and then by subject in broad categories.  It is based on our
> perceptions of student behavior and assignments given by faculty.  Our
> design is user driven.

We discovered during user testing that we could not predict whether users
would browse for resources first by subject ("I'm looking for *education*
journal articles") or by format ("I'm looking for *journal articles* in
education).  So we ended up accomodating both browsing behaviors, in
addition to browsing by name ("I'm looking for ERIC").

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu