[WEB4LIB] Cross-database Search Tools Summary

Tony Barry me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
Thu Sep 6 03:10:14 EDT 2001

At 9:42 AM -0700 5/9/01, Roy Tennant wrote:
>Below is the summary of what I found.

You missed Sherlock http://www.asia.apple.com/sherlock/, the Apple
technology which lets you search aggregates of different web based
databases  together. It used a parsing language to standardize the
interface to them through plugins
http://www.apple.com/sherlock/plugindev.html.

I use it to search groups of about 100 databases together.

While this happens at the client end, only on MacOS, it is scriptable
so that via cgi it could be interfaced to a web server although I
don't know of anybody doing this. But then I haven't looked.

Tony
--
phone  +61 2 6241 7659
mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au