Data inputting of bibliographic (or other) records?

Megan Spencer megan at bga.com
Sun Oct 28 12:41:09 EST 2001

Dear Web4Lib,

I would like to find out if Web4Lib subscribers know of a need for "heads down" data input, such as manually converting paper records to electronic format -- work that could be done by university students in China?

One of my former Chinese students has a friend who is a professor at the University of Electronic Science and Technology of China (UESTC), located in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. He is developing a program that the university recently established. The program provides Chinese students with opportunities for real work experience as part of their technical studies. My friend asked my advice, so this is the purpose of my posting.

The UESTC would like to create partnerships with libraries and/or other organizations that have a need for 'data inputting.' The university has a very large computer lab and students eager for the work experience. Chengdu is a large metropolitan city in southwestern China, and the UESTC is rated among the top ten universities in the country. The university's web address is:
        http://www.uestc.edu.cn

Thank you for your consideration and please let me know if I can provide additional information.

Megan Spencer
Teacher/Consultant
Cooper Consulting
Austin, TX