[WEB4LIB] RE: Two interesting articles dealing with viruses and I

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Wed Oct 3 14:39:09 EDT 2001

Following up on Peter's message, one of the variants he referenced is the
"Code Blue" worm:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bluecode.worm.html

Although it attempts to patch unpatched IIS servers that are vulnerable to
Code Red, it uses the same propogation techniques, flooding networks with
traffic trying to find "victims" to fix.  Although no one wants
compromised IIS servers spewing attacks thanks to Code Red, this "cure"
isn't much better behaved.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library