[WEB4LIB] Betr.: Building a database for e-journals

Richard L. Goerwitz III richard at goerwitz.com
Wed Oct 17 07:31:21 EDT 2001

Theo van Veen wrote:

> The solution to your problem is OpenUrl, a person link pages (plp),
> that act as OpenUrl resolver and the mechanism to let your browser
> know to which personal link page to link.

Maybe I missed something.  Are you sure the poster is using OpenURLs?
OpenURLs are a great idea, but they are deployed in only a handful of
places, are not supported by all vendors; and it is not currently
known just how difficult it will be for libraries to handle the main-
tenance issues over the long term.  This issue looms even larger in
situation where an institution has to maintain separate OpenURL re-
solvers at each location because each resolver needs a distinct set
of customizations.

The OpenURL solution will also require integration with whatever proxy
setup they are using.

--

Richard Goerwitz                               richard at Goerwitz.COM
tel: 401 438 8978