[WEB4LIB] Virtual Visits to Your Library Web Site

Mark Ellis mark.ellis at rpl.richmond.bc.ca
Mon Oct 15 18:20:52 EDT 2001

Missy,

MS Site Server, which we use for log analysis, defines a visit as:

"A series of consecutive requests from a user to an Internet site. ...if a
user does not make a request after a specified time period, the previous
series of requests is considered to be a completed visit."

In our case the "specified time period" is 30 minutes.  Site Server uses
cookies to distinguish individual users.

I assume Dr. McClure is using the term "virtual visits" in order to compare
web visits to  "real" library visits. (e.g. gate counts)  I don't see how a
web visit could be anything other than virtual.

Mark Ellis
Manager, Reference and Information Services
Richmond Public Library
Richmond, B.C.
(604) 231-6410
www.yourlibrary.ca