"What's New" links

Kathy Varjabedian kv at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 10 18:28:10 EDT 2001

 >I'm beginning a redesign of our website, and am looking for examples of
how other libraries notify their patrons about new products and services. I
would appreciate recommended websites, suggestions, etc.

We have a "news feature" in the center of the library home page
( http://lib-www.lanl.gov/ ) which changes every couple of weeks.  We keep
this very short so people won't glaze over and the page won't get too busy.
If they're really interested they can click for more information.

We have a "What's New" page which gives the news feature, new website
links, the library newsletter, what's new lists for books, e-journals
etc.  We included a link to this in the nav bar that shows on every page in
the site, hoping to catch users who have their favorite page bookmarked and
rarely go to the home page.

We have a monthly newsletter on the website, which has a e-mail list to
notify users of new issues.

The weekly new books/ebooks web pages are generated automatically; a file
is extracted from the online catalog and run through some scripts.  This
also has an e-mail version.

I dream of subject-specific email notices, so that, for instance, a chemist
could get just the new chemistry books, journals, databases, web resources
in one message.  Right now we don't have the infrastructure ready to do
this in an automated fashion, but are working on it.   Our users generally
say they don't have time to wade through a lot of material and want
targeted information.

We've found that it's best to take several approaches.  Users differ in how
they prefer to get information and you reach more people that way.  You
might want to do a quick survey of your users first.

Kathy

Kathryn Varjabedian
Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library
Los Alamos, NM
kv at lanl.gov