[WEB4LIB]

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Wed Oct 10 13:24:21 EDT 2001

I think that a library should include Web resources in their collection development policies.  Just because a resource is free does not mean a library should point to it.  There are quality issues that should be addressed, as well as issues of client information needs.

Whatever methods are used in managing a print collection could probably be applied in managing a Web collection.  Hits of pages that are topically organized could indicate your clients' information needs.

If you are able to turn your site into a more dynamic site using Web-enabled databases, you could start counting "click-throughs" that provide a similar measurement to "checkouts" or "in-house" usage.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-1698
http://www.swmed.edu/library/

>>> j b <webxpert at usa.com> 10/10/01 12:07:16 PM >>>
Hello,
I am looking for feedback regarding library web site content. Here is the situation- Staff would like as much infomation as possible on the new site. This creates issues in itself(maintenance, updating,static pages, labor, etc.) However, statistical data from the old site which was information heavy showed that only a few areas were actually visited or searched for.

I know there are common sense things to include for the base.  We need to find a balance.  Has anyone looked at their site stats to see what is actually being used on your site?

What approach or methods have you used that satisfies both the customer visiting from the web and staff?

I'd love to hear your feedback or stories.

Thanks

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Have you downloaded the latest calling software from Net2Phone? Click here to get it now!
http://www.net2phone.com/cgi-bin/adforward.cgi?p_key=NH211JK&url=http://commcenter.net2phone.com/