Update--get-together at LITA Natl Forum

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Oct 10 08:38:53 EDT 2001

More about the LITA National Forum ad-hoc get-together:

A Handsome And Mysterious Stranger (o.k.--actually Tom Hennen) wrote me
to warn me that the aquatic park might not be the ideal place for a
get-together, due to a high concentration of small children in the pool
(which made me think of a special kind of bacterial threat...) and to
recommend a lounge/restaurant called (of all things) Safe House, highly
atmospheric and within walking distance of where we're staying.  You
also don't need a bathing suit, though I understand you should be clad
in something.

See below--if this appeals, I would say we could meet in the lobby and
walk over at 5 p.m. I do not have any more PUBLIB buttons, and I don't
think WEB4LIB ever had any buttons. We'll just have to recognize one
another.  For a change of venue, we could go to the Three Brothers
tavern for dinner itself.

I'll close this discussion 12 noon Thursday, Eastern Time, so we have a
"plan" by then.  I'm staying in the conference hotel, and I will leave a
message with the concierge regarding the PUBLIB/WEB4LIB social hour.

Looking forward to seeing all of you!

Karen G. Schneider

>From local PR sources:
The Safe House is located on Front Street east of Wells Street Station.
With
its front door facing a dark street (that could be easily thought of as
an
alley), before you walk in the door you already start to slipe in to the
role of a spy doing covert operations. Upon entering, you are trapped in
this small "office" and are asked for the "password". If you don't know
the
password you might need to prove your spy abilities. After being
accepted,
you follow a hall that leads to the main bar. After absorbing the
ambiance
you should now feel "deep undercover". There are over three bars with
"agents"(servers), a plenty. One bar features Sneaky Pete, the magical
bartender. He can whip you up one of their specialty drinks like the
Spies
Demise (you get to keep the glass) and be amazed by Pete's fast hands.
If
you are hungry, enjoy one of their specialty sandwiches such as a French
dip
on a hogie au jus. For you vegetarians out there, enjoy a Veggie Delight
--
four cheeses with lettuce, tomato, green peppers and tender bean
sprouts.

>From local PR sources:
Open Tues - Thurs 5 pm - 10 pm, Fri - Sat 4 pm - 11 pm, Sun 4 pm - 10
pm; no
credit cards. Enjoy delicious, home-cooked Serbian food in this
informal,
family-operated eatery with an authentic European atmosphere. Cocktails
served.

Three Brothers Restaurant PR:
This century-old former Schlitz Company tavern bears witness to the vow
made
by a family separated in the horrors of World War II: to someday reunite
and
open a restaurant in America. The dining room is a time warp to the
past--the simple Formica tables, mismatched china and upbeat music take
you
back at least five decades--the perfect backdrop for the timeless
recipes
coming out of the tiny kitchen.

Thomas J. Hennen Jr.
thennen at haplr-index.com