Poor Sales Continue at Questia, More Layoffs Announced

gary price gprice at gwu.edu
Tue Nov 20 11:48:42 EST 2001

I just posted this news updated to my weblog.

Here's the story:

Online Services--Questia
Electronic Libraries
Source: Houston Chronicle

Poor Sales Continue At, Workforce Cut By Another 50%
Last week we had news of the possible takeover of netLibrary by OCLC. Today,
word of continuing problems at Questia. From the article, "Questia Media cut
its workforce in half last week, reducing the number of employees to just 68
because of lower than expected demand for its online library and research
service. "This is the second round of layoffs at the Houston firm, which
laid off 140 out of 280 employees in May. The firm is cutting back because
relatively few high school and college students have been willing to make
monthly payments for the service, said spokeswoman Ann Brimberry, adding
that the weak economy played a part. "We're seeing good week-over-week
growth but not at an aggressive rate as we anticipated," she said.

Full-Text of article at:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/business/1138626

Weblog Details--
Looking for More News, New Sites, Search Tips?
Visit The Virtual Acquisition Shelf and News Desk
http://resourceshelf.blogspot.com

cheers,
gary