[WEB4LIB] Links about Flash - tangent

GRAY, PAUL PAUL.GRAY at TCCD.NET
Wed Nov 7 16:33:44 EST 2001

Would also like any information has on how to get Shockwave/Flash to run on
W2k when logged in as a USER (as opposed to Power User or Admin).
It appears to insist on editing the registry every time it is run -- which
-- for reasons that should be obvious - we do not give anonymous unmonitored
users rights to do.
Someone sent me some registry hints recently but they appear to be NT
specific -- could not find the keys he mentioned in 2k.

BTW -- did I mention I agree TOTALLY with the implied comment that Flash
content is more often than not a WASTE of bandwidth.

Thanks
Paul H. Gray
Library Manager, CLC and LRC LAN
TCC Northeast Campus Library
Hurst, TX

-----Original Message-----
From: Gimon, Charles A [mailto:cagimon at mplib.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 3:26 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [WEB4LIB] Links about Flash

Can anyone help? I could use a few links that explain why usage of
Macromedia's Flash is bad for usability, accessibility, content management,
the web as a whole, and so on. I have a new employee who needs to be
instructed in these matters. I already have Jakob Nielsen's column on the
subject, as well as several well-written posts in the Web4Lib archives.

Any others that people can recommend?

--Charles Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library