How long to retain old website?

Stephen Davis daviss at columbia.edu
Wed Nov 14 12:47:14 EST 2001

Hi, Ward.   We kept virtually all of our old files in place for many months
after our transition to a new site last fall while we systematically put in
file & directory x-refs, redirects or sometimes just simlinks.  When the
content & links on old pages was clearly volatile and easily outdated we
did remove them sooner rather than later.  If you have web hit statistics
you can actually track how quickly use drops off from the old pages and
maybe let that be your guide.

An idea you may already have thought of: If you have files & directories in
the old system that don't have a one-to-one relationship with files &
directories in the new system, it's helpful to put a search box (for the
new site) on any generalized cross-reference pages, so that users have a
fighting chance of finding the content they want.  You see this on large
commercial sites sometimes (since they actually worry about losing
customers ;)

We tried to make the transition as smooth as possible for our users; but
even so, the simple fact of so much change at once threw some of them for a
loop.  So the more you try to cushion the change, the better.  Also, imho
the more we 'evolve' sites rather than simply replacing them, the easier it
will be all around.

Stephen Paul Davis
Digital Library Program
Columbia University Libraries