[WEB4LIB] old web sites

Elizabeth A Reiten reitene at okstate.edu
Wed Nov 14 11:21:19 EST 2001

Over the last year or so, I've been doing a fairly major
redesign/realignment inside our website -- not redesigning the public
side, mainly the file structure.  I've left a redirect page in place for
all of our index.htm pages (every folder should have one) and for all
pages indicated from an in-depth evaluation of our web statistics.  I then
created an Excel spreadsheet with the directory/filename, redirect date,
and date for removal.  I chose one year as a good length of time for the
redirects to stay on the server, given the number of occasional users we
know we have.  I've then put reminders in my calendar so my Visor beeps at
me to check the Excel file when something can be removed from the server.

It may be a bit kludgy, but it has worked so far, and I've noticed a
definite drop in the access stats for the redirects, so our users are
changing their bookmarks... I hope!

Beth Reiten, Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library