RILM et.al., the changes in searching

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Nov 30 16:31:21 EST 2001

There have been recent discussions on the list about the changes in
availability of a number of databases, including some Wilson
databases and RILM.  We recently had the option of changing our RILM
from a per-search charge to a subscription charge.  The provider was
apologetic about the mid year change.  When we complained to the
provider, the explanation was "Protest acknowledged. Thanks for the
feedback.  It was an economic survival decision on the part of RILM."
This is exactly what I expected, and once again confirms that it is
the database creators that are making the changes in pricing and
availability, and not the service providers.

It may well be that some of these database creators will die the
infamous "death of a thousand cuts" as more and more of us drop the
services in question.  We've chosen to continue RILM on the
subscription basis, at least for now, but may not be able to in the
future.  Searches that were costing us less than a dollar each on a
per-search basis will cost about five dollars each at the subscription
price, assuming usage remains the same.

How many cuts will be made?  How many will RILM be able to survive?
The sad part may be that they can't survive either way, and then we'll
all be without a valuable resource.

It's a tough jungle out there in the real world.....

Happy holidays,

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA