[WEB4LIB] RE: Does your library site have a name?

Hugh Jarvis hjarvis at buffalo.edu
Fri Nov 30 11:22:24 EST 2001

> XXU Library website"? My sense is that while most places gave catchy
> names to their online catalogs (OSCAR, Melvyl, RaiderLink, etc.), such
> has not been the trend for websites.

Isn't this a standard branding question...?  When does the brand add
value, when does it interfere..?  What are the advantages of trying to
attach a new brand to an existing 'product'..?  Does it compete with
traditional names for the product..?  Does it compete with other
university brands..?  What else will you do to market the concept to
your users..?  What else will you do to incorporate that theme into your
physical library as well as online..?  Colors... imagery...  How will
your university integrate the brand into its web system..?  You want to
make sure people can find the right spot by searching the main site for
"unicorn" and even grab the appropriate matching domain names I would
think.

Despite its troubles, Ask Jeeves might be a great example of a brand
"equating" to the product, the butler who answers questions (although
why a butler would do so is beyond me - wouldn't "ask nanny" make more
sense..?) and the brand also being the name of the web site.  But for an
existing product, i.e. the library & all of its resources, you don't
want to overpower or confuse the two.

Interesting thread. Cheers,

	Hugh

Hugh Jarvis  (PhD, MLS)
Cybrarian/Web Information Coordinator
Creative Services - University at Buffalo
330 Crofts Hall, Buffalo, New York, USA 14260-7015
Tel: 716 645-5000 x1428
Fax: 716 646-3765
Email: hjarvis at buffalo.edu (preferred)