Disturbing News

Daniel Messer dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
Mon Nov 19 11:37:29 EST 2001

Hey all...

    I found an article on Slashdot (www.slashdot.org) which points to an
LA Times article detailing a disturbing trend since the 9/11 attacks.
Libraries are being ordered by the Federal Government to destroy
information held in federal repositories in the interests of "homeland
security." From the article:

"Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft said that, while 'a well informed citizenry'
is essential to government accountability, national security should be a
priority."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-111801inform.story

    Folks, in my opinion, what that says is that the government is going
to carry out acts in the name of "national security" and using that
guise, may be held unaccountable for their actions. If the trend is now
to order the destruction of freely obtainable information, then the
terrorists have won. We have thus given up the FOIA and indeed our
Constitutional rights.

Dan

--
Mondai wa
The subject in question...
dmesser at yvrls.lib.wa.us
-------
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
                     -Hunter S. Thompson