[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Sponsored Links

Mike Madin madin at academicinfo.net
Fri Nov 16 17:53:47 EST 2001

Hi Web4Lib'ers,

Walt writes:

> I can only think of three alternatives for Google:
>
> 1. Sell "relevance" on a hidden basis, so that the results are effectively
> corrupt. You'd still get sponsored links first, but you wouldn't know
> that's why they were first since they wouldn't be labeled as such. This is
> the most common approach.
>
> 2. Charge for searching.
>
> 3. Go out of business.

Academic Info is trying a 4th alternative to advertising or sponsored links:
Donations.
We removed all banner advertsing and now are trying to be completely user
supported.  We've experimented with this model for the last month and let
just say the results so far are less than promising.  We are getting only a
couple donations per million pageviews (although the "please donate" plug is
only on our top pages so far).

Last spring we were getting around $10,000 per million pagviews from banner
advertising compared to around $100 per million so far seeking donations or
a 99% drop in revenue.  Ouch!

You knew it was coming - The Plug:
Academic Info is now completely user supported.  Please consider making a
small donation (any amount is appreciated) to keep us online and free of
advertising.  We accept credit cards through Paypal (go to our homepage) or
checks payable to Academic Info.

Academic Info
4739 University Way N.E., #1504
Seattle, WA  98105